How to Wear a Vintage Brooch April 19 2022
If there’s one thing we love at Rice and Beans Vintage, it’s a fabulous brooch. Wearing a brooch with an outfit is a quick and easy way to add a little flair or glam to an outfit—and who doesn’t love that? First thing’s first—a little history on brooches. Originally called a “fibula,” brooches were developed as a way of clasping and holding clothing together, and were first used by ancient cultures like the Greeks, Romans, and Celts. Although brooches today can still be used to hold together clothing (think clasping together the front of a sweater without closures, or holding a shawl in place), they have come to hold rank as more of an accessorizing piece than a necessity to uphold standards of decency. So the big question is: how does one wear a brooch without simply pinning it on a jacket lapel? The answer is simple—in almost any way you like. Here are some ways we love:
- In multiples: an interesting mix of statement brooches on one side of a classic jacket gives a fun and updated look.
- Pinned to the side of a hat. (Keep this one in mind for your knit hats next winter!)
- At the hip of a wrap dress. Check out the black and white Diane von Furstenberg halter dress on our website for inspiration.
- Pinned to a classic chain necklace—or two, or three!
- As a hair accessory—a simple way to add elegance or a pop of color to a hairstyle.
- On a Fabric Handbag
Whatever your style, brooches can fit it—it’s all about finding the best way how to wear a brooch and rock it right. The beauty of brooches is that there’s really no wrong way to wear them. Here at Rice and Beans Vintage, we have some stunning, fun, and classic brooches available (love love love the panther and camel ones!)—so take a look and let your creativity shine!
Get Your Vintage Brooch at Rice and Beans Vintage Now & Start Accessorizing!
Written by Heather Cox for Rice and Beans Vintage